Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Ahh Mother's Day... admittedly a tricky one for me. Our family has dealt with a lot of changes, some sad, some upsetting, some the best thing that every happened to us, and well a lot of that revolves around Moms! But as we get older and we are all falling into our nitch in life, our hearts have lead us to where we want to be and guided us to how we want to express that.

That being said, yesterday was nice and mellow and very relaxed. Josh and I were excited to give our Mother's Day gifts... unfortunately we'll have to wait until today to give his mom her surprise because not everyone was feeling so well yesterday and up for visits. However, I don't think she follows the blog so I'm safe so spoil the surprise on here and talk about what we did!

Denise has been (unsuccessfully - man he's stubborn) trying to guilt trip Josh into painting her bedroom for her. I'm not exaggerating - this has been going on for over a year. They have a love-hate relationship where Josh rags on her 24/7 but when push comes to shove, the first person he calls when he needs advice or help is his mama. So we (I, as Josh keeps joking, there is no we in this activity) came up with the idea that we should offer to get all the supplies and paint her room for her. The only caveat right now is that I can't be around those fumes until after Jack arrives. So I made the certificate you'll see below. I am lazy and just used my iphone for the picture, so its a bit blurry, but you'll get the idea:

The font is a bit blurry, but you can see the certificate is to "Jack's Paint Shop" and the way we explained she'll have to wait until he comes, is by putting "Grand Opening: July 2010" at the bottom. I hope she likes it!!

After spending most of the day being lazy, we headed over to Dad and Pattie's house where Dad and I planned to make Pattie dinner. I will stop here and give a little praise to Dad - I did absolutely nothing to help with dinner. Every time I looked up, he was already taking care of something and telling me he "got it"... I did nothing. Josh even did the dishes, so I literally, did nothing! Thanks Dad and Josh!

Anywho, like a total airhead (let's blame it on baby brain shall we) I forgot to take a picture of what we gave Pattie before we gave it to her! But I can describe it easily enough! The tricky thing with Pattie is she doesn't ask for much and if she needs something, she usually just runs out and gets it. So we all tend to default to gift cards - which I know she loves and they get used, but after a while giving her the same 4 gift cards, you just feel like a schmuck. So, Josh came up with a great suggestion, why don't I think of something she and I can do together. If you know Pattie, one of the very first things that comes to mind is that she LOVES sewing, specifically quilting. For Christmas I was spoiled enough by my parents to get a new sewing machine that is absolutely amazing. Then, just to make me feel like it was Christmas all over again, Pattie brought over a ton of tools to get me started on quilting! It was so thoughtful of her. I love seeing her excitement in something, and what honestly makes it seem like so much fun to me is the idea that it's something we can share together. VIOLA! Let's take a quilting class together! So what we 'made' for her, was another certificate as well. Al beit she may have to 'dumb it down' a little for me and go to a class that will be fairly easy for her, but the idea of getting to share that together sounds great. So since she is the expert I asked her to let me know where we should book the class, and hopefully we'll be on our way soon!

p.s. I think she loved the idea! :)

As the day came to an end I was laying in bad last night thinking wow, starting next year, Mother's Day is gonna be a bit different for me! I smiled, thinking well, just another addition on our Mom saga for the family, and this one is definitely one I'm looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment