Monday, May 16, 2011

Sponge Bob Cart Cover


Back when I was pregnant and we were filling out our registry at BabiesRUs... I was really disappointed with the selection and cost of the cart covers.  They were either super girly or super lame.  It didn't take long for me to snuff my nose at them and declare that I could make one cuter.  Fast forward to few weeks ago when Jack graduated to his big boy car seat and all the sudden we couldn't just tote him around in his carrier anymore.  Crap.  One raised-eyebrow-smart-alecky-humorous-look from Josh and I went to Joanns on a mission.   Sponge Bob is big in our house - Josh and the girls LOVE him, and I think hearing him all the time while he was still in my tummy, Jack has loved Sponge Bob from the day his eyes could focus on the TV screen. So when I saw this fabric, I grabbed it.

Then it sat on my sewing desk for a month.  Enter more raised-eyebrow-smart-alecky-humorous-looks from Josh.  Ok so the problem was... I got a McCalls pattern but it was way more complex than I needed - pockets.. ruffles (ruffles for Jack? ahno) and I'm horrible and winging it so I kept putting it off.  Then Josh reminded me that I spent a grand total of $8 on fabric and if it doesn't work, then there really isn't much lost.  So I went for it. 

Whatya know, it turned out!  Here is what I did:

I cut a 45in square out of both pieces of fabric (sponge bob, and coordinating fleece for some added softness), rounding the corners.  I measured 16 inches in (based on internet searches for cart measurements) and cut two 5 inches squares for leg holes.  I put right sides together (like a pillow case) and stitched all the way around, leaving a few inches to be able to flip it right side out.   

This next step you can do as I did but I don't recommend:  While right sides are still together, stitch leg holes together using a thick zig zag - realize that you hadn't turned it right side out yet, try and rip the stitches out but since you did a thick zig zag it's not going anywhere, and have to cut your 5 inch holes to 5.5 inches.

Once I flipped it right side out, I stitched the leg holes (again)... since I wasn't sure if this was even going to work, I left the edges raw.  I did choose the zig zag stitch because I thought it might reinforce it a little better than a regular stitch.  If I were making this for someone else, I'd go the extra step to hem it. 

Next I went back to the hem around the edge, going in about an inch and creating another hem all the way around.  I did this so the elastic would stay in place. Once it was stitched, I fed the elastic through, sewed the ends together, and stitched up the hole I left at the beginning and it was done!


I might be biased, but isn't he so stinkin' cute?! 

Linking to:











1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! And your baby is super cute :)

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete