Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fairy Gardens

Several months back, Pattie got me going on an idea to make fairy gardens with the girls. To get them excited about it, she even got us this pop-up book, isn't it cute??



Here is what one of the pages looks like:





Josh was overly thrilled at the idea of having to dig up flower beds in our rock hard front yard... but several hours later we had 2 cute half circles under each of the front bedroom windows. Pattie and Dad were sweet enough to start us off with our first bunch of petunias. The girls ended up being so into it, we went and doubled the amount of flowers. Josh took the girls to go get "Fairy sized" wind chimes and ornaments to encourage fairies to visit their gardens often. We finished it off by putting stepping stones with their hand prints in the middle of each garden. Admittedly the excitement died down occasionally, but they could always be talked into to watering and checking in on their gardens to make sure they were at the proper fairy standards.

Then summer came. This last heat wave was no match to our efforts to water, and keep these flowers nurtured. I sent Pattie a pic msg asking if there was any hope. After seeing the picture of the fairy gardens, she wrote back that "Hun those petunias are as dead as the get!" I was so disappointed!!! So I sat on in for a few days, then had an idea.


Last night I brought the girls out after dark, and handed them each a hot pink pouch with "magical fairy dust" that Pattie had gotten from a very top secret place. I asked if they wanted to sprinkle the fairy dust on our flowers and see if it will help the fairies to see we needed their help, and maybe they would stop by tonight. They both got wide eyed and went straight to it.

Then I waited, and waited and waited. And waited some more. Of course this was the night they fought sleep. 10:30!!! I got up, sleepy, a glass of wine in me... and out I went. I made Josh come with me, and all the while I'm trying to quietly dig up their dead petunias, he's laughing and pointing out the holes in my plan. I didn't get a flower to replace my dead flower pot, only ones for theirs... surely they would see the dirt under my nails... We were laughing so hard I was afraid we'd wake the girls! We finished, scanned the yard to make sure we didn't leave anything out, and went to bed.


When I woke up this morning, I heard the girls playing. I wondered if they had remembered. I peaked into their room I noticed their curtains were open.... which lead right to Kali's fairy garden. So I walked in and Mackenzie immediately grabbed my hand and brought me to the window. She said "Look!!!! Kali has new flowers!" So I suggested we go outside to see if her garden got new flowers too. Here are some of the pics, I didn't get any really great shots but you get the idea!



(If only the grass fairy could come by and give us a new lawn! ha!)




The next thing I want to do is get something to border their gardens... rocks, mini fences, I'm not sure, but they are lacking something and I think that will do the trick!!
In the end I don't know who was more excited, the girls or me... but it sure was fun sneaking around!!

1 comment:

  1. This is the cutest thing I have ever heard! I love it! I cant wait to see this garden grow!
    Those girls are adorable!

    ReplyDelete