Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My First Quilt!

Ok well I haven't made it yet, but I'm so excited! As you may remember I mentioned that for Mother's Day I made Pattie a certificate saying that I wanted to take a quilting class with her. In the past couple of years, Pattie has gone full speed ahead into the quilting world and made some adorable things!! I'll admit when she first told me she was getting into it, it didn't grab my interest because like most people I associated quilting with my grandma, and flowery old fashioned fabric. Well Pattie very quickly opened my eyes to how cool you can make things... and thats the best part - you can choose to make it look however you want. There's no wrong choice! So for a while now I've been itching to give it a try..... then top off my good fortune that Dad and Pattie gave me an awesome sewing machine for Christmas, as well as a bunch of quilter's basic tools... and I've been ready to go!



So this last Sunday, Pattie and I headed over to Cotton and Chocolate.. her favorite (and adorable, hello look at the name) quilt shop. They have a series of classes offered each quarter.. some covered in a few hours in one day.. some spanning over several. Just depends on how big of a quilt you want to make. What I really liked is that for every class offered, they have a quilt hanging in the store to show you what it looks like. So theres no question, you know exactly what you are making. We settled on a quilt called pint sized polka dots. The class is a Thursday night (now you know Pattie loves me if she's willing to take a class that goes until 9pm LOL) the first week of July. I think it will be a perfect distraction for me to work on the weeks before Jack's here and I'm off of work! Anyway, Pattie asked if I wanted to pick out my fabric now, and this is when I got excited. I had no idea this would be the best part so far! We had so much fun!! I am in shock of how much fabric we had to pick out. Now of course if I had found a honeybun (This is what a honeybun looks like) that I liked, it would have eliminated the need to pick out quite so many individual pieces, but they only had a few choices.



After what was probably an hour later, this is what we walked away with! (Sorry for the bad pic, I was lazy and used my phone, at night.. bad lighting!)




Everything is a bit brighter than the picture projects. I am so excited to go to the class and am so bummed it's a month away! But I'm sure this month will go so fast! I am so curious how they are going to teach me to turn that pile of fabric into a quilt! I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment