Saturday, January 1, 2011

Another Christmas Gift - Superhero Cape!

Ok, I'm just gonna put this out there now to please excuse a)all my iphone pics, I was so lazy about getting out my camera, the only time I did was when I lost my phone for an entire day 2 days before Christmas. (I have never lost my phone before!) b) the mess in the background of all the pictures! Just keepin' it real people.

Anyway, Josh's sister, Jenny, told me that her son Kai LOVES wearing the capes they have at his school, and could I make him one?  How cute is this:  I asked Jenny what is favorite color was, and she laughed and said pink.. soooo why don't we go with red.  ha!  Now thats a cool kid.  If you know Kai, you know he's obsessed with the Disney movie, Cars.  So when I was getting the red fabric I couldn't resist sneaking in some Cars fabric for the inner lining.  I added a super hero "K" on the back for good measure. 

There are a million guides and templates online for how to make the perfect cape.  Jenny told me he's just about 3 feet tall, so I ended sizing down 1 yard of fabric to about 26 inches when it was all said and done.  Then I cut it at an angle so the top was narrowed in from the bottom.  I added a seam for a drawstring, and that was that! 


(it was laundry day, my sheets were in the wash, ha!)


I am hoping Jenny will send me a picture of him in it, if he ends up wearing it.  Kai is shy (also terrified of Josh, haha!) so he wasn't into trying it on Christmas day!

The thing I love about this too, is that I think like many people, we were on a tight Christmas budget.  For the money I spent, this means a lot more than what I could have gotten as an equivelent toy for the cost.   Here is the break down:

Cars Fabric:  $8.99 - had a 40% off coupon so the cost was $5.39
Red Fabric:  $3.99
Felt for the K $.59 (I think!)
Black Shoelaces:  $2.99
Thread - already had
Total Cost:  $12.96 (plus some tax!)

1 comment:

  1. oh super cute! Perfect for a little boy!! :)

    Thanks so much for linking to my "20 Below Thursday" party! Hope you come back again next week :)

    ReplyDelete