Tuesday, January 11, 2011

When crafting goes wrong.... Sigh.

I've mentioned before that one of the hurdles I got over that allowed me to enjoying crafting so much more... was realizing it doesn't have to be perfect.  Getting over that mental road block has allowed me to really get into crafting and have a lot of fun.  But sometimes, it's just a fail, and thats that!

I have been wanting to make a magnetic recipe board for a while.  I wanted to make it specifically as a gift to Pattie.  She's always talking about how she hates leaving a recipe on the counter because its never at the right angle to glance at easily.  (truth be told she's come up with a smart solution, resting the recipe card between two knobs on her upper kitchen cabinets, pretty smart!) Anyway, I started seeing lots of these popping up on blog world.. here's an example from From Glitter to GumDrops :


Cute, right?? I was kind of stumped on where to buy metal from. I mean, I know I'd go to Home Depot but I'd have to ask for help, which would mean actually finding an employee there... and thats where you loose me. 

So when I was at Michaels, with a gift card burning a hole in my pocket (Thanks Dad and Pattie!)  I stumbled on the cutest scrapbook paper. I should pause to say that with all my crafting, I've never really been inspired to make a full on scrapbook.  I dunno, just doesn't do anything for me.  There are so many options and so much potential, but all the power to you, it's not my thing.  But when I come across cute paper I have to grab it, knowing I will find a way to use it.  So as I was walking around Michaels, paper in hand, I decided to just wing it and make my own menu boards.  I quickly stumbled on a roll of magnet sheeting... magnet on one side, paintable white surface on the other. PERFECT! 

So I thought.

I started with painting my boards, and then cutting out the pieces of paper I wanted to use, and mod-poding them on. Easy enough, and it looks just like I thought it would.  But then when I open up the magnet roll, the white, paintable (a.k.a. prettier) side is not magnetic.  If I want to be able to slap a recipe card with a magnet on this I'm going to have to use the dark side.  Then I used hot glue to adhere the magnet sheet to the board, and you can see the outline of the glue thru the magnet. 



I made two, one intended to be my trial one I'd keep, and one that I planned to give to Pattie.  They now are sitting in my living room with no home, and no plans for me to use them.  I'm posting this not to show you my bad sides.. but just out of curiosity to hear what you would have tried to do differently?  Go to Home Depot and scrounge for an employee?  Do you have another idea for what might have been a better product to use?

Whatdya' think?

5 comments:

  1. I really don't think they look that bad. Could you possible paint over the magnet to A) cover the glue marks and B) make the dark part cuter?

    OR because hot glue is for the most part removable, take it off and use say E-6000. That stuff is awesome.

    Also, maybe a cute ribbon could be glued around the boarder of the magnet to give it a cohesive flow if ya get what I'm saying.

    I DO NOT think this is a fail at ALL. Its cute and with a few tweeks it would COMPLETELY WORK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ONE MORE THING! Krylon also sells magnetic paint. You could paint the whole board with it, and then put the paper over it (except for the center where you want to hang the card). Hope that helps a tad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did NOT know they sold magnetic paint! how cool is that! Ok, maybe it's not a total lost cause. You are inspiring me to mess with it.. may as well, they aren't going to get used as is! Thanks for your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psst Megan, They also sell those magnetic things with an adhesive backing, I've used it to make magnets before. Could also take the glue gun glue off and use a spray adhesive or a paste glue for a smother finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aha! I had no clue! I must find some....

    ReplyDelete