Saturday, January 1, 2011

First Christmas gift, revealed! { finally! }

Wow... Dec 10th was my last post.. whoops!  I learned a valuable lesson these last few weeks.  It was Jack's first Christmas, and things were chaotic.  I had this great idea of making a handful of my gifts this year, which I am so glad that I did, I just wish I was a little more proactive about it.  We ended up having to jam pack so much in (also in prep for getting the girls xmas morning) that I didn't take a minute to just breathe.  The day after Christmas I was so disappointed in myself for missing moments I could have had with Jack, making his first Christmas special.  Josh rationalized that he's 5 months old, he doesn't know any different.. but we never even got a picture of the kids in front of the tree.  It was a valuable lesson for me to keep in mind going forward to stay true to what is important to us, and realize the rest will find its way to work itself out. 

Now that I got that off my chest, I can finally reveal a bunch of things I was working on!  I don't think anyone that I made gifts for read my blog (I only have 6 followers, lets be honest!) but I didn't want to risk it. 

I was most nervous about my gift to my oldest sister, Katie.  She moved up to Northern CA a few years ago, and I'll admit the distance makes it harder to know what to get her for a gift.  We don't have those day to day interactions where you catch her eyeing a cute top at at store, or saying she needs something for the house.   One thing I know about Katie, and her husband, Devin, is that they LOVE The Beatles.  A few months ago I stumbled on a ton of subway art ideas.  I really love the look.  One day the idea came to me to make a subway art, Beatle themed.  Then I took it one step further that I wanted the background to be a faded black and white version of the famous "Abbey Road" picture. 

Sigh, if only it was all that easy. I could give you a long winded excuse for why it went from this grand idea in my head to something of a much smaller scale... but I'll save you the details.  The bottom line is, Katie swears she loves it... I hope so!!  In our mad dash frenzy to get everything done in time, I completely forgot to take a picture! So Katie was kind enough to snap one and send it over.  Here it is:



It's mounted on a piece of MDF board, painted black.  My days with subway art definitely aren't over.  I'm on a mission now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment