Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas Gift Revealed - Monogrammed Wreath

The 3rd gift I made was for my sister, Lizzie.  I guess I lied earlier, because I was nervous to give her this, too!  But while I was disappointed in the one I gave Katie, I was super excited with out this one turned out.  I have actually wanted to do one of these for us ever since I saw it on The Bird's Papaya.  However, we don't all have the same last name yet (nudge nudge, Josh!) so alas I will have to wait. 

I knew I wanted to make something for Lizzie, but I didn't know what.  She moved into her now, husband's home, so it still is very bachelor pad-y.  She is definitely itching to add her flare.  So she told me the direction she wanted to go in was dark blues, purples and blacks, but still with a beachy feel.  For some reason, this wreath popped into my head! So I got started. 

First I got a wreath at Michaels, and spray painted it black.  I did a few coats, but didn't go nuts, I didn't mind some of the brown sneaking thru.
Next, I took a stab at making fabric flowers.  I have seen these tutorials popping up everywhere.  The basic principle can be applied.  Take a strip of fabric, tie a knot at one end, hot glue it to a piece of felt, and then twist and glue your way into a flower.  For some reason, when I was walking around Joanns, burlap kept popping into my head, so I went with it.  They are super easy to make, just be careful pushing the fabric into glue.  Hot glue gun=hot!  (DUH!)

I also made some in plain white fabric I had on hand.  To add a more beachy feel I added a shells.  The neat story behind these, is that they are actually decorations we used for Lizzie's bridal shower 2 years ago.  I had held on to them knowing I'd find a use, and well, here you go! 


Lastly, I added some ribbon to hold the C in place, and it was good to go!!  This is the picture Lizzie sent me, of the wreath hanging on her front door. I'm so thrilled she likes it!!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up @ trendy pockets! I'm loving this wreath, it's so cute! =] trendypockets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete