Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Weekend Cooking Adventures

So this last Saturday, we planned to have Dad and Pattie over for dinner. I had gotten this slot on their social calendar almost 6 weeks ago! Who knew they were such a hot commodity. I don't often get the chance to make a meal for them, so I didn't want to just make any willy nilly meal. There were a few things I knew I wanted to cover. I got my obsession with green onions from my Dad, so I knew I wanted to make Asiago, Potato, and Bacon Gratin with green onions. Yep, its as amazing as it looks, guaranteed. Seriously, its one of our favorites!

I could NOT think of what to make with it. I turned to my new dear friend Scotty and asked for suggestions. He graciously offered me Mama Perry's (his mama) roast recipe. Guys, this was TOO easy. Salt, pepper, bay leaves. Thats it. MP said to wrap it tightly in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 6 hours. I'd never tell her (Scotty, you are sworn to secrecy) that I strayed from that last part. I needed the oven for the potatoes and I got a smaller roast so I was worried that 6 hours was too long. So I crock potted it. Folks, it was delicious! Simple, tender... yum! I just wish I would have thought to make a gravy with the yummy juices left in the pot. Anyway, Scotty and I affectionately named him Mr. Chuck Roast. Sorry theres only a before and no after.. we ate it too fast!


We couldn't forget the veggie. Josh and I have become obsessed with fresh green beans. So when I saw this recipe in this month's issue of cooking light (an awesome subscription my parents gave me for my birthday!) I knew I'd want to try it. More bacon.. you can't go wrong. Seriously, its a crime for this to all be healthy!! Green Beans with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette



Lastly, I knew I wanted to make cheesecake for Pattie. Not just my usual stellar cheesecake, but I wanted to get into the fall spirit and make a pumpkin cheesecake!! This turned out to be an ordeal. I did not want to stray from my tried and true recipe. But I've never done substitutions. I spent a good hour researching the right spices and amounts of what to add. I have to say.. it turned out PERFECT!!


Looks a bit yellow in that pic, but thats an iphone in a dark room for ya. So Brittany, I hope this pleases you... everything we made! It was a feast.. Josh and I were passed out fast asleep before 10pm that night!!












1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I've been checking back and there are no new posts from you. What's up with that??

    The dinner was fabulous, sweetie. Thanks for having us over!

    ReplyDelete