Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Dresser Re-Do

Holy Cow... it has been a really long time since I blogged.  I have at least 5 projects to share, I just haven't had a minute to breathe!  Enter new job and a six month old.  Life is super crazy.   Anyway, enough excuses.

If you remember from this post Josh's sister, Jenny is having a baby.  Scratch that, HAD a baby!!  Baby Olivia was born on 1/24/11 at 2am.  She is perfect!  Roll back a few months ago, when I was looking thru Jenny's registry around the time of her shower.  She had a super cute dresser on her registry that unfortunately she didn't get.  I talked her into taking it off the registry, and letting me find one on Craigslist to refinish for her.  She ended up being more involved in that the dresser we found was closer to her (she's about an hour and a half away) so we played musical dressers in family member's cars until the dresser made its way up the coast to me.   As usual I forgot to take a picture before I started, but remembered to stop early enough and take a few shots.  It was actually in good shape except for a nick in the bottom corner, and Jenny wanted it white.  The hearts were metal pull outs that popped right out and were so simple to spray paint.

I must pause to share with you a very valuable lesson I learned about painting in the cold (even modest California cold) weather.  After I sanded the dresser (So excited that Josh decided that week to go use his X-mas Home Depot gift card to buy a sander!) I began to paint.  I knew it would take a while to dry so I would do one coat, and then come back out an hour later.   When I decided it would be the last coat, I was generous and so super careful to not leave streaks.  I practically skipped out to the garage the next morning to check things out.  Well when you put a generous coat of paint on in the winter months, it doesn't have time to dry fast enough and leaves huge nasty drip marks. SIGH.  Sand, paint, repeat. 

Anywhoooo... here is the finished product! I am so pleased with my very first furniture redo! 

This picture is from Josh's mom.  She snuck a picture of the dresser in the nursery when she stayed with Jenny for a few days. :) 




1 comment:

  1. That dress is to cute. Well done.

    New follower by the way! I look forward to seeing what you have to come. I know the busy life. I so wish I had more time to post project after project lol. Maybe someday huh? Take care.
    Feel free to swing by and join me as well.

    Take care.
    Deb
    http://dejarenew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete