Monday, August 24, 2009

Call me Mrs. Roper....

So, I'm a talker. (duh) And, I like to think I'm friendly. I will drive Josh nuts when we go on a hike, and ever hiker we pass I say "Hi!" or "Good Morning!" . He tells me maybe they just want to be left alone. Then don't go hiking on the most popular trail in Thousand Oaks on a Saturday morning I say. I'm just friendly (overbearing?) like that. If you pass me, yes I will stare at your face in hopes you look up where I will flash you a smile and say hi. Why not? I've mentioned in my old blog how I adopt project people. If you are someone I see regularly, and I keep saying Hi to you and you don't respond? I will make it my mission to get a response out of you. I've converted over 10 people while at Amgen who now say hi to me every day. I take pride in the fact I've broken each and everyone so far!

Annnnyways... this is all coming to mind because I have a neighbor. Well 2. 2 men, who not to be stereotypical but I'm pretty sure they are gay. Which hey, all the power to them. They could be purple eaters as far as I'm concerned, no judgement here. When I moved in 6 years ago (wow... it's been that long?) one of these gentlemen was outside. I threw an obnoxious hand in the air and shouted a "hello!" across the street, only to see his harry back in return. (I now know, he routinely waters his yard with his shirt off). Hmmm... this perplexed me. Who wouldn't want to say hi to me? I have now, everytime I've seen this man (the other one rarely is seen unless he is coming or going) waved, smiled, or hollered a friendly hello, just to get nothing in return. Relax dear readers. As I've said before, I've not had one failure yet. Determination!! Alas, today. Victory! I was lugging out the trashcans as tomorrow is trash day. My bald, harry friend was standing close to the street watering away, and looked up just as I looked at him, and there went my hand. Right up in the air! A victorious (HA! Caught you!) wave, smile on my face. I waited for my snub. I almost stopped in my tracks as I heard a sheepish, kind of surprised "hello!' creep across the street into my ears. Keep cool I thought. So I smiled, put the can at the curb, and waited until I was on the other side of the car to do a little jig! HA! It's only a matter of time before we are having neighborhood block parties, joint yard sales and swapping gardening secrets. I can feel it! ;) Don't you totally want to be my neighbor now?

No comments:

Post a Comment