Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Our New Life With Food

If I haven't already told you 10 times, Josh and I are unofficially doing Weight Watchers. I say unofficially because we didn't join. We have the luxury of being related to a one-time leader. So we have a personal expert holding our hands. (Thank you Pattie!) To date, we are on week 5, and I've hit my 10 lb mark and Josh is a sliver away from his 20 lbs mark. Woohoo!! The first week, we didn't know what we were doing, and tried to generally eat what we "thought" was good, in a WW friendly portion. We were starving all week. Our wonderful leader was nice enough to throw us a valuable bone. She got us a Cooking Light cookbook. Every single dinner we eat now comes out of this book, I kid you not. And everything except for one boring salad has been AMAZING. And this is coming from 2 die-hard fast food lovers... anything processed, greasy and cheesy we were all over. I actually laughed with pride the first week we filled both crisper drawers with actual fruits and veggies and not beer and limes.



It has been unreal to realize where that pesky fat is hiding. Things we thought were bad, not so much in the right quantities. Things we thought were healthy....sooooo far from it. It was a bit hard at first but we hit that glorious point when one day, Josh looked at me and said "you know what, these fries aren't worth it." Never had I EVER thought I'd nod in agreement. Don't get me wrong, I will fully admit yes it was me in the In-N-Out drive thru last week getting 2 double doubles with animal style fries, willfully taking Josh down with me in my moment of weakness. Oh my God it was so good. But what I love about WW (getting preachy, sorry) is that.. you can do that. Not every day, but when you just need and need to do it, go for it! We partied hard on my bday weekend (thanks Lizzie!), and still had losses. Explain that to me!!!



So anyway... here is what's on the menu tonight: Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad. (http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1215905)





Yep, it's as good as it looks. And it's healthy enough that I can squeeze in that Corona light you see in the background! The first time we made it, we followed the directions to the T.. and it was WAY too spicy!! Then Pattie was nice enough to make it as a side salad for my bday dinner, and toned it down and it was perfect! The part I love the most is that I can do a lot in advance. I cooked a ton of chicken over the weekend, so it's ready to go - made the dressing last night. All I have to do when we get home is throw it all together. I highly recommend this one guys!

4 comments:

  1. I beg you to post more stuff like. I need recipes and I need people who have actually EATEN the food... because it might look good on paper but be disgusting once *I* cook it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be happy to!!! One thing I did different this time - My eyes could not find "chilis in adobo sauce" at the store, so I just threw in some chalula (or any hot sauce) until it was at the spice level we like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chiles in adobo sauce are on the ethnic aisle in the hispanic section. They're in a tiny tin can, normally on the bottom shelf. I know this because I made a squash soup one time that called for them and I thought "hey, I like spicy, I'm gonna add 5 instead of 2"...bad idea. very bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I've bought them once and had no problem finding them. Ever since then I can't find them! I need to try a different store I think. yes 5 instead of 2 would be deadly!!! Silly Gina. Did they turn your teeth red?

    ReplyDelete