Monday, February 22, 2010

SPRING!

Ok so I'm a few weeks early, but I just can't wait for Spring to get here. I am just so sick of cold murky days and long for those few weeks in spring when it feels so good to open the house up and get all that fresh air. Your toes still get freezing without socks, but sitting in the sun makes you feel like you have the best blanket in the world wrapped around you. Then it gets hot and miserable, but lets focus on those few blissful weeks instead!

Just like Fall brings out the crafter in me, Spring brings out my green (ok brown) thumb. I long to have a green thumb, I really do. Maybe practice will make perfect. Remember a few months ago when I blogged about how the fairy gardens died again, and Pattie gracefully did not blame my thumb, but rather my dirt? Well, we set out with a plan. To dig a trench, get new soil, and start over! Well! That ended up being a MUCH larger task than we had thought. After about 5 inches of so-so dirt, we hit clay. (alas, the problem!) So three weekends later, several pulled muscles and a few disobeyed child labor laws later, we had a trench! Then it rained. And rained and rained and rained some more. We missed the window of opportunity to plant anything until Spring.

So we've watched as the mounds of dirt next to the trench have gotten packed from the rain, watched the rain fill the trenches then slowly disappear underground. However! There is a light at the end of this muddy drab tunnel. Pattie announced that in a few weeks we will be ready to plant again! I just can't wait, our front yard needs some desperate TLC. This will give it some color that it's dying for. Stay tuned for pics in the upcoming weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment