Thursday, March 3, 2011

Girl's room re-do

We live in a tiny house. like 960 square feet kind of tiny.   So, it seemed like a smart space saving solution 2 years ago to get the girls bunk beds.  They had actually been begging for a while but there is a certain lil' clutzy red head I didn't trust to not jump from the top.  So we waited until we could scare her enough about it she was mature enough to know better.  I was disappointed to see a lot of the sets at Target, Walmart and even Ikea seemed kinda flimsy.... it just didn't seem like a good recipe with these daredevil children.  So when I spotted a set on Craigslist where the owner boasted is 220lb son launches himself onto these on a regular basis I was sold... I went with practicality over beauty and the girls got this bad boy:

Sooooo dark. But they served their purpose and the girls were excited.  Note the "Princess Purple" walls they were SO excited to paint.   Anywho.  The honeymoon ended a year later when no one wanted to deal with being on top bunk anymore.  But alas, we had filled the room no longer needing space for 2 beds.  So we deterred them for as long as possible before they practically went on strike a few weeks ago.  Here's what the rest of the room looked like.  This was an old picture.  That small chest has been removed and a bookshelf PACKED with books is in it's place.
It really wasn't that great, but it worked.  Anyway, we set out for a plan to change up what we could.  Jack has a tall white dresser, and we knew we'd need something skinnier than what they had now, so my plan was to swap out dressers.  Wow.  That is a COMPLETE pain in the neck. Clothes. Everywhere.  But, we got it done.  We took down the beds, got them some bulletin boards and.....

Tada!  Yes, they have 1.5 million stuffed animals. 

Hi Gismo.
Side note:  Thank GOD I am taking a photography class so I can learn how to take pictures LOL.

It's really nothing major but the gasps and awwws, and the girls wanting to go to bed at 6:45 to be in their room pleased me enough. 

While I was sitting in their room completely taken apart I wished I thought it thru a bit more before I started because I would have painted.  The purple is cute, but nothing matches!  The girls want to make new duvet covers, and add curtains and such and there is no way to match both their personalities, and that paint color. 

I am looking forward to all the little things we'll be doing now... like I said, new beds, Josh is going to build something (Just dicovered ana-white.com... where have you been my whole life?!) and all the little accessories.  I'll post pics as we actually get stuff done over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment