Monday, October 19, 2009

My Thumbs Are Still Green!

Sunday morning Josh set out to do some yard work. Always excited to help, Kali & Mackenzie followed, sweeping up the sidewalk each pass he took with the lawnmower. So I figured I should probably get out there and contribute too. Still on my fairy garden kick, I decided to go check them out. Maybe it was time for a watering with Miracle Grow just to make sure our new flowers are flourishing.


I stood there between the two flower beds scratching my head. What the heck? Didn't we JUST replace these? Why in the world are the petunias .... dead? I wanted to hide them.. I wanted no one to see them... and I definitely didn't want to hear Josh teasing me about killing them again!


So as I left to run errands, I sent Pattie a text, admitting my failures, and how much I sucked. Her response? "LOL! No honey, it's your soil that sucks." ahhhaaa... I sure like this explanation a lot better than me killing flowers!! And by gosh, she's a certified master gardener, so her opinion is the obvious correct assumption. Her next text offered to help us fix the problem.


Our plan? Josh and I need to set to dig out the planter... I'll measure it tonight, but we are guesstimating its about 10x4 feet, and we need to go 18 inches deep. Good luck with that, Josh! haha, no no, we have 2 shovels.. it will be a joint effort. Once we get the dirt turned up, Pattie and Dad are going to help us with the rest... first up, getting some better soil in the ground. Once we do that, we are going to re-establish the fairy gardens, and switch from petunias to pansies. Pattie speculated that the petunias were not getting enough sun, and pansies are a more shade-friendly flower.

The newest addition to our garden area, is going to be euonymus (sounds like youwannamus!) plants. I'm really excited for this, I think it will add some more solidity and fill in the space quite nicely!

I'll snap some more pictures as our little mini-journey continues... we should have it completed by the end of next weekend, stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment