Thursday, October 21, 2010

Yummy Soup!

I don't know what came over me last night, but I made 3 meals! bah! It started with my chili recipe that I make all the time. Once I got that going, I realized that I had got a butternut squash about a week and a half ago so I had better do something with it soon or it was going to go to waste. So I yanked that bad boy out along with a recipe for Butternut Squash Soup I had been wanting to try. I figured it would make for a yummy lunch today. So I'm realizing I need to get better about taking pictures along the way. This was my first experience man handling a squash and needless to say I could see Josh's smirk from the other room as I dropped that slippery sucker a few times while trying to peel it! I took a picture of my end result and it looked like orange pudding. (festive, at least!) So here's the Cooking Light picture.

Since this wasn't my dinner, I didn't get a big ole bowl and dive in but man after one taste I wish I hadn't eaten yet! There is just something about it where I could pick up the whole pot and just slurp it down! It's not too sweet, the perfect amount of savory and waaaay smooth and creamy. Perfect for this rainy cold weather (that I love) that we've had all week!
If you are going to try to make this, I will say that I didn't measure out my squash and think I had more than it called for (and I may have thrown in an extra carrot & onion piece or two), so I ended up adding the entire carton of broth, figuring I could let it boil down if it was too watery. It turned out great!

The third meal I put together was a pot roasty-stew looking thing that I set up to cook in the crock pot all day today. So I just did the boring prep work last night so I didn't have to get up even earlier than the ungodly hour I already do!! It smelled awfully yummy already when we left for work this morning. I can't wait go home tonight and try it! If it was a success, I'll post the recipe tomorrow.


Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment